Mine (Speak Now)


Mine is the opening track and first single from Speak Now and was rush-released on August 4th 2010, in response to a leak. It is possible that the crush inspiring this hit was so short-lived, it will remain a secret of Taylor’s past. When asked how Mine fit in with the confessional theme of the album, Swift responded, "It actually is a confession of some sort, because this is a situation where a guy that I just barely knew put his arm around me by the water, and I saw the entire relationship flash before my eyes, almost like some weird science-fiction movie. After I wrote the song, things sort of fell apart, as things so often do. And I hadn't talked to him in a couple months. And the song came out, and that day I got an email from him. And I was like [she claps her hands] ‘Yes!' Because that one was sort of half-confession, and half-prediction or projection of what I saw. And the fact that it came across so clearly to that guy that he would email me meant that I had been direct enough.” Swift had much less to say about this mystery guy’s reaction. "Um... I don't know. I didn't really respond. But he was sort of like, ‘I had no idea... I realize I've been naïve.'"Mine has been compared to Love Story – notably the first single but from her sophomore album – because they are both futuristic in nature; however, Mine reflects a more realistic and mature side of Taylor. The lyric booklet message "Toby" most likely refers to music video co-star Toby Hemingway. It has also been speculated that the song is about Swift's pal Cory Monteith.

Sources: 1234

No comments:

Post a Comment