Innocent (Speak Now)

Hidden Message: Life Is Full Of Little Interruptions

The track Innocent represents Taylor Swift’s maturity and strength in overcoming adversity. “I think a lot of people expected me to write a song about [West]. But, for me, it was important to write a song to him. It doesn’t really add anything good if I start victimizing myself and complaining about things. Because I’m proud of that performance at the VMA’s last year…where my fans helped me get through it. And there was a lot that went down backstage that I will always be thankful for, and the fans in the subway know exactly what happened that night. I feel everything. I never had this thick skin…It’s not like I am bulletproof in any sense of the word.” For those not familiar with Swift’s 2009 Video Music Awards scandal, Swift was rudely interrupted at the beginning of her acceptance speech for Best Female Video by rapper Kanye West who after storming the stage and grabbing the microphone out of her hands claimed Beyonce deserved the award over Swift. Beyonce later that night won the coveted Video of the Year award but graciously allowed Swift her allotted time. It is speculated that West never personally apologized to Swift, which is reinforced by the lyric, it is never too late to be brave. Although Swift eventually admitted the song was written for West there were many clues throughout the song that led to this conclusion. She first performed the song at the 2010 VMA’s, one year after the incident took place. Additionally, the line thirty-two, and still growing up now corresponds with West’s age (born June 8, 1977) at the time. In Back to December, Swift may also be referring to this eventful night singing to Lautner, how you held me in your arms that September night/ the first time that you ever saw me cry.

Sources: 1234

No comments:

Post a Comment